Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tricked!


R and I sometimes get into little tiffs over how often he needs to shower/get cleaned up. I was talking to my best bud J-bug this morning about how we sometimes sound mean when we say, "Man you stink! Go take a shower!" to our kids. I told her that I thought it was better to let them know that B.O. is not a good thing, and they need to know how yucky it is now so that when they are older they are not being embarrassed over being stinky in public!
Well, I decided that I was totally right and that R would definitely see it my way. So after my chat on the phone I asked R:

Me - Would you rather be stinky and me not say anything and let you stink the place up, OR would you rather me tell you that you are smelly and to go take a shower?

R - Uh, the 1st one...

Me - No way! You mean you would rather smell and everyone knows about it and not tell you?!

R - Yes..

Me - I can't do that, I'll just have to tell you when you need to clean up.

R - Mom, why give me an option to answer when it isn't really an option?!

Me - oh, I guess that was kinda a trick Q huh?

R - YES!

Oops, I realized then that I totally do that a lot, I "fake" multiple choice answers to questions and then tell them what the answer is and that is the end of it. Wow, call me opened minded! But at least I finally have realized my trickster ways! (Poor boys!)

After some explanation of why its good to keep up with a clean body R sees it my way about how often he needs to get cleaned up. And I promised him I'd never tell him he was stinky in front of any of his friends!

No comments: