Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Grumble, brumble, hmmmm...Thankful!


I loved General Conference, well, I have to admit that I missed a lot of Saturdays due to L's soccer game and my inability to stay conscious in the afternoon when I'm sleepy! But I stayed awake for Sunday's, and yesterday I started listening to Saturday's on LDS.org. It really drove home the need to be grateful for the things I have been provided for. I think this is one of the big things I'm taking away from Conference, that and the overwhelming truth of the Savior from the wonderful testimonies given.
J has one yucky schedule. He came home 3 1/2 weeks ago and has had one day off. He has had duty too where he goes in to work in the morning and doesn't come home til the next evening. I've been informed that he won't be getting any days off this month either. I'm wondering if we'll get to have a whole day to hang with him before he ships out again, it doesn't look that promising. So needless to say this stresses me out a bit since I sure like to be around that guy!
With the beautiful changes of autumn comes the on sought of S.A.D (seasonal affective disorder) that I deal with every year. I absolutely love Fall, the smell in the air, the colors, the pumpkins, the anticipation of holidays! But I dread the time when I get sick.
So with these 2 added things in my life I started to worry more and feel extra stress. Hearing the messages from Conference helped me out. I decided that I needed to focus on the positive aspects of my life more. I want to express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father more. (Needless to say the boys have noticed the length of Family Prayer get longer this last few days!). I have already started to feel better. J's schedule hasn't changed, I still have to deal with and treat my affective disorder, but I can handle these things with a much happier heart.
I am greatly blessed, I am almost done with school, I have 2 1/2 weeks until I finish with my Associates degree and get my 4 month college break! I have my 2 wonderful boys and they are healthy and happy and I get to do so much fun things with them, I have a wonderful husband who takes care of us and works hard for us. Despite his busy days at work and how tired he gets he is a joy to be around when he gets home, he has no sharp words or grumpy looks, just love for us. I have so many wonderful day-to-day blessings that I enjoy and am thankful for.
I love a quote from Elaine S. Dalton from the Sunday morning session, she said, "In the Strength of the Lord I can do all things". I asked R to write it down for me and we put it up in the computer room.
So no more grumbly-brumbly sounds from me, just a Thankful Heart.

1 comment:

Proud Mommy said...

Don't forget! You and your boys get to have a week in Alaska with your Mom, Sis, Bro-inlaw, and little nephew! We are soo excited that your coming!