Monday, January 10, 2011

Jordan & Sanderson


"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ...There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning" (Robert Jordan).

In my Sophomore year of high school a friend of mine told me to read 'The Eye of the World'. I really thought he had said 'The Eye of the Wolf' so couldn't find it so didn't read it.
About 2 years later, right after I got married, my husband J received a signed copy book 8 in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. He was very excited and told me I should read them.

I tried, I couldn't do it. Then his cousin, the friend who 1st mentioned 'The Eye of the World' to me, told me that if he at least gets to page 200 in any book he usually can finish it. So I gave 'Eye of the World' another try. My only goal was to hit page 200.

The 200 page marker theory worked for me too, I was not only able to finish the book but to also fall in love with the story. I was hooked and soon J and I were talking about the characters like they were real people. (big book nerds I know!)

He told me that he worried that the series would never be completed the ending would always be a mystery. J started this series when he was 14, he is now 31.
Then one day a fellow college classmate told me that Robert Jordan had passed away. I've never talked to him, met him, or even seen him. But I've devoured his stories. I felt bad for his family and sad that the stories had ended. It was so cool to find out that Robert Jordan and his family prepared for the story to be completed even after his passing.

Hello Brandon Sanderson! He is writing the last 3 novels of The Wheel of Time.
We had never heard of this author before so I bought J one of his other books. Instant hit, he is a great story teller as well.
I also discovered that he wrote a youth age series, 'Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians'. I got the first book for R for Christmas.
I read a lot of what R does, I love being able to talk to him about the books. This series is FUNNY! I love it and hoped R would too. He read book 1, in one day, and book 2, in two days. I think its safe to say that Sanderson is another favorite author in our household.

We are awaiting the last book. Soon I am starting over. I will read the prelude and books 1-13 so when the last book comes out I'll be ready.

2 comments:

Holbrook's said...

I also started reading those books on a suggestion from one of J's cousins...hmmm...I read the first 10 and I honestly am not sure if I have read the last 2, I saw the newest one at costco the other day. I got my husband into them as well, though he is a big fan of audio books instead of actually reading them. So it has been interesting to have read them and then to listen to them. He was a great story teller. I think you have inspired me to finish the series as well.

The Peine Family said...

You are such a good mom and wife! It's hard to read other people's books. I'll have to mention the authors to Sean. He'd probably like anything J does.