Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Addicted?


We recently canceled our account with Directv. We realize it isn't a good use of our $ and it doesn't promote activity, its a distraction.

When it was turned off R asked why, I told him to save $ and that we didn't need it. Our teen friend pipped up and said, Yeah, it just makes you sit around a get fat! R and L heard that and then were sold on the idea of canceling. (cracks me up!)

I think I'm the one who was addicted to it. Withdrawals? Sort of, I would usually have the TV on most of the day playing in the background while I did chores and Homework. So for days it felt really weird not having the satellite.
The boys haven't even mentioned it. So I guess canceling was really for my benefit!

We are not a 'No TV' house, we have Netflix and a Blockbuster membership. We just don't spend as much time in front of the TV anymore and that's probably a good thing.

The next step is getting the boys to stop being video game junkies.
Last year we had no electronic gaming allowed during the summer. Loved it! Even the boys admitted it was one of the best summers. We let them have video games after school started.
We have warned them that this summer will be like last year, No video games whatsoever. You can bet they will have withdrawals from it!

It amazes me how me and my family have become so into electronic media. I don't even want to think about how much time we've wasted zoning out to it.

1 comment:

The Peine Family said...

Good for you guys! We're still trying to figure out how much TV is okay for our family. We've gone months without it and didn't notice it except at first, but once we start again it's so hard to go back to the "no TV" rule or even to limit it is hard. We'll get it figured out eventually!